Symantec has just released a critical security hotfix for the dll loading issue (CVE-2016-6590) in GSS 3.1. The hotfix is included in the latest maintenance pack 4 (MP4). More about the issue can be found in the security advisory.
It took some time but its now available: the ASDK for GSS 3.x. Its the same that can be found in DS 6.9 but it has been recompiled with an updated version of NET. It now requires NET Framework 4.6.1 to be installed. The ADSK makes it possible to use VBScript via COM/web service interface to manage GSS or to write a different frontend in other languages. Its also possible to access the web service from a remote computer. A help file and examples are included in the ADSK. Note: at the moment the ASDK is released as is with no support.
The AM4 desktop platform is a long awaited refresh to replace the current AM3+ and FM2+ platform with
new chipsets that have USB 3.1 Gen1/Gen2 support and the support for DDR4 memory. The AM4 socket platform is the target for the current Bristol Ridge Desktop APUs and the upcoming Zen based CPUs and APUs.
Bristol Ridge for Desktops is a refreshed Excavator Core that was first released in Carrizo Mobile. Changes are: improved performance, support for DDR4 memory and several extended power saving mechanism.
AM4 platform for OEMs
The AM4 platform is currently only available to OEMs, e.g. HPs EliteDesk 705 G3 Series which we will cover a little bit. There is no support for Windows 8 or Windows 7 because of Microsoft’s support policy.
Update January 2017:
HP added Windows 7 Enterprise to the list of supported OS. This is a change to the Windows 10 only support policy earlier, the product documentation and the customer advisory was not updated to reflect this change.
There is also a new model 1AA87AW available that ships with Windows 7 Pro preinstalled. This is really good news as till now no other new CPU line (Apollo lake, Kaby Lake) comes with Windows 7 support.
- QuickSpecs HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Series Business Desktop
- Datasheet HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Desktop Mini PC
2. Hardware Specs
2.1 Form Factor
- Desktop Mini (DM) with 35W APUs
- Small Form Factor (SFF) with 65W APUs
- Microtower (MT) with 65W APUs
2.2 CPU/APU Lineup
- AMD PRO A12-9800 4 Cores 65W
- AMD PRO A12-9800E 4 Cores 35W
- AMD PRO A10-9700 4 Cores 65W
- AMD PRO A10-9700 4 Cores 35W
- AMD PRO A8-9600 4 Cores 65W
- AMD PRO A6û9500 2 Cores 65W
- AMD PRO A6-9500E 2 Cores 35W
- AMD B350 FCH (MT/SFF)
- AMD B300 FCH (DM)
2.4 Model list
Note: only the current available SKUs are listed.
2.4.1 HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Desktop Mini PC
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A12-9800E 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number X6U09EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A12-9800E 512 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number X6U08EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A12-9800E 512 GB SATA TLC SSD 16.0GB RAM Model Number Y4U60EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A10-9700E 1 TB SATA 5400 rpm HDD 8.0GB RAM Model Number X6U06EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A10-9700E 256 GB SATA SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y4E54UT
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A10-9700E 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 4.0GB RAM Model Number X6U10EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A10-9700E 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number X6U07EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A10-9700E 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 8.0GB RAM Model Number X6U11EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A10-9700E 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y5H55AW
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A6-9500E 1 TB SATA 5400 rpm HDD 4.0GB RAM Model Number X6T82EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A6-9500E 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 4.0GB RAM Model Number X6U12EA
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A6-9500E 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 4.0GB RAM Model Number Y5H56AW
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A6-9500E 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 4.0GB RAM Model Number 1AA87AW
- HP 705G3ED DM AMD A6-9500E 256 GB SATA SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number W5Y69UT
2.4.2 HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Microtower PC
- HP 705G3ED MT AMD A10-9700 128 GB SATA SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number X6U14EA
- HP 705G3ED MT AMD A10-9700 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y4U11EA
- HP 705G3ED MT AMD A12-9800 512 GB SATA SED SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y4U10EA
- HP 705G3ED MT AMD A6-9500 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y5W04AW
- HP 705G3ED MT AMD A8-9600 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y4U12EA
2.4.3 HP EliteDesk 705 G3 Small Form Factor PC
- HP 705G3ED SFF AMD A10-9700 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y4U06EA
- HP 705G3ED SFF AMD A10-9700 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y5W05AW
- HP 705G3ED SFF AMD A12-9800 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y4U08EA
- HP 705G3ED SFF AMD A6-9500 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 4.0GB RAM Model Number Y5W06AW
- HP 705G3ED SFF AMD A8-9600 256 GB SATA TLC SSD 8.0GB RAM Model Number Y4U07EA
- HP 705G3ED SFF AMD A6-9500 500 GB SATA 7200 rpm HDD 4.0GB RAM Model Number Y4E56UT
Symantec continues to add new features and fixes with the release of maintenance packs (MP) for GSS 3.1.
Downloads for registered GSS 3.1 copies can be found on fileconnect.
- only bug fixes and security updates
- a feature that was disabled in HF3 is available again: GSS 3.0 HF3 no longer has the option to select the level of compression during a Create Disk Image task
- Support for Korean language
- A long time bug that was present since the GSS 3.0 release is now fixed:
Dagent crashing while in WinPE Automation
- Support to save and restore images from 4K USB drives (OS install on $K drives is not supported
- Ghost Standard Tools are now available in Korean, Japanese and Chinese Simplified languages
In the history of Intel’s Developer Forum (IDF) AMD is always presenting new products close to the IDF in a hotel. This time AMD had a nice surprise because it was the first official demo of a Zen “Summit Ridge” Engineering Sample clocked at 3 GHz. Mark Papermaster revealed some new information about the Zen architecture. Also surprising was the comparison of the 8 Core Zen ES on the new AM4 platform with an Intel Broadwell-E CPU by using the Blender CPU Render Benchmark. The Zen ES finished the benchmark slightly faster than the Intel part. The 2nd chip that was presented was the 32 Core ZEN Server chip “Naples” in a two socket server mainboard.
For more technical information and slides check the link below.
Update: Hot Chips 2016
On 23th of August Michael Clark presented the Zen architecture with more technical details in his session “A New, High Performance x86 Core Design from AMD”. An audio record of this session is available on youtube – The AMD Zen Technical Briefing.
The new family of Radeon graphics cards is the first one that is manufactured in 14nm FinFET. The current available model list with the Polaris GPU being used and the codename of the chip:
- Radeon RX 490(*) Graphics Polaris 10 “Ellesmere” (* not yet released)
- Radeon RX 480 Graphics Polaris 10 “Ellesmere”
- Radeon RX 470 Graphics Polaris 10 “Ellesmere”
- Radeon RX 460 Graphics Polaris 11 “Baffin”
The cards are available from AMD (RX480 only) and partner of AMD with different cooling solutions, overclocked and silent BIOS features and different graphics output connectors.
Some of the availabe reviews are listed below. For the start Guru3d explains the new Polaris generation in
more detail in every review. Keep in mind that most of the benchmarks runs were not using the latest available crimson graphics driver, game patches and newer graphics APIs DirextX12/Vulkan when supported by the game/benchmark which means non optimal results. Vulkan like OpenGL works in the opposite of DX12 on Windows 10 on nearly all current operating systems including Windows 7 and Linux.
- Sapphire Radeon RX 480 Nitro 4GB and 8GB OC review (hexus)
- AMD Radeon RX 480 On Linux (phoronix)
- MSI RX 480 Gaming X 8GB Review (techpowerup)
- MSI Radeon RX 480 GAMING X review (guru3d)
- PowerColor Radeon RX 480 RED DEVIL review (guru3d)
- MSI Radeon RX 470 Gaming X 8GB review (guru3d)
- ASUS Radeon RX 470 STRIX OC 4GB Review (techpowerup)
- RX 480 and GTX 1060 DX12 and Vulkan Tested (wccftech)
- ASUS Radeon RX 460 STRIX Gaming 4 GB review (guru3d)
- AMD Radeon RX 460 Review (tomshardware)
- 18-Way GPU Linux Benchmarks, Including The Radeon RX 460 & RX 470 On Open-Source (phoronix)
Symantec released GSS V3.1 on March 7th 2016. This release can upgrade an existing GSS 3.0 install but it requires a new license, the one from GSS 3.0 will not work.
This minor version contains the following enhancements:
- Support for Windows 10 out of the box
- save and restore to local drive and network share is back (not in 3.0)
- Partition imaging added (console)
- Improved Automation Folder Feature
- Enhanced Sysprep support for Win10
- Support for multiple WinPE versions
- Updated LinuxPE (newer Kernel)
- Support for WinPE 10 added
- Path to an installed ADK/WAIK can now be set
- Main console UI dialogs were updated (for new features and low screen resolutions)
- Updated ASDK – GSS Administrator Software Development Kit (this will be a separate release in the next months)
Note: The first Hotfix package for GSS 3.1 (HF1) will be released at the end of april 2016.